Homemade pizza is some of the best cheap food around. It’s no wonder there are a million pizzerias around, the margin on ingredients is great. My husband is Italian so he’s been honing his pizza dough skills throughout the years we’ve been married. It can be tricky business, not only to get the dough consistency right, but the flavor, tossing and cooking to perfection is a definite task.
We love making homemade pizza and saving leftovers for lunch throughout the week. We try to make ‘healthy’ pizza, which in our minds includes whole grain dough, sometimes adding ground flax seed, using mostly vegetables and staying away from pork products or processed meats like sausage or pepperoni. This takes a lot of the greasyness out of the pizza and in turn the calories and fat.
The recipe below for homemade pizzas was inspired by our original post of Costa Rican Homemade Pizza. You can find the recipe and instructions for the dough there. This time we added some apples for a slight bit of sweetness and garnished it with fresh basil that knocked it out of the park. It’s simple to do and you can either take it fully cooked with you to work and reheat it in the microwave or toaster oven or just eat it cold. It’s THAT good. Enjoy!
Homemade Pizza Ingredients
- Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1/2 Fresh Ripe Apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Fresh Ripe Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 Cup Marinara sauce
- 4 Fresh Basil Leaves, torn into small pieces
- thinly sliced fresh garlic
Homemade Pizza Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place pizza stone inside.
- Split your dough ball into quarters and place two of the dough balls into plastic wrap and into the freezer for another time.
- On a floured surface, stretch the two dough balls out into the crust size you want, bake for 2 minutes and remove, leaving the stone in the oven.
- Spoon a generous amount of marinara sauce onto the dough and cover with mozzarella cheese, bell peppers, garlic, onion and apple slices.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese begins to get golden brown
- Remove and let sit for 2-3 minutes, sprinkle with fresh basil pieces, cut and enjoy.